DENVER — Five years after Colorado first legalized marijuana, a study shows pot’s bad effects are sending more people to the emergency room.
Inhaled marijuana caused the most severe problems at one large Denver hospital.
Marijuana-infused foods and candies, called edibles, also led to trouble. Patients came to the ER with symptoms such as repeated vomiting, racing hearts and psychotic episodes.
The study, published Monday in Annals of Internal Medicine, stemmed from tales of tourists needing emergency care after gobbling too many marijuana gummies.
“It was hard to know if these were just anecdotes or if there was a true phenomenon,” said lead author Dr. Andrew Monte of University of Colorado Health Emergency Department in Denver.
Three deaths in Colorado tied to edible products also prompted the study.
Emergency room records from Monte’s hospital show a three-fold increase in marijuana cases since the state became the first to allow sales of recreational marijuana in January 2014.