The Agassiz Fire Department (AFD) has determined that cannabis oil production was behind a house fire on Mount Woodside earlier this month.
A fire on Mount Woodside started thanks to cannabis oil production gone wrong, says AFD. (Submitted)
On Nov. 17 at about 2 p.m., AFD was paged to a fire on the mountain and arrived soon after to find a two-storey house fully engulfed in flames, with no people in or outside the home.
About 30 firefighters from Agassiz, Popkum and North Fraser crews were on scene trying to douse the raging blaze.
AFD chief Wayne Dyer said crews had to be particularly careful once they found numerous 20-litre pails of isopropyl– an accelerant – that was being used for the creation of cannabis oil on the property.
Liquid butane was also found around the building.
Firefighters used the ‘surround and drown’ method, keeping their distance from the structure until they knew